Coconut banana custard
Although it contains the word ‘nut’ coconut is not part of the tree nut family so allergies are very rare. Coconut is very high in virus fighting lauric acid - much like the composition of breastmilk, so it’s the perfect first food! It’s very nutritious, high in fatty acids that help keep the gut healthy, high in minerals, fiber, vitamins and amino acids. You can offer baby coconut cream straight off the spoon or use it to cook with! It makes a stew that much richer and delicious and the fats will help the body absorb the stews nutrients.
Here I’ve made a coconut and banana custard!
Make sure you buy coconut milk that has no additives! I use the brand ‘honest to goodness’ or Ayam, which have a good mixture of cream and milk in the can!
• 1/2 cup coconut milk
• 1/2 cup coconut cream
• 3 egg yolks (I saved the whites to make a egg white omelette for myself)
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
• 1 small ripe banana mashed
- Preheat oven to 170 bake
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and gently whisk until smooth and combined
- Grease a muffin tin with small amount coconut oil
- pour in custard mixture (makes about 6)
-place muffin tin into a deep roasting pan, pour enough water into roasting pan until it comes up two-thirds of the way up the side of the muffin tin.
- bake for 45 mins to 1 hour until the custards look/feel set (they will firm more as they cool)
- remove muffin tin from water and allow to cool until slightly warm - they will have a custard like consistency
** best served warm and should be able to be stored in refrigerator for 5 days * if making for a toddler (over 1) you can add 1 TBSP maple syrup to make more tasty! ❤️