These are something my children and I (and my hubby) eat on the regular! Its an easy recipe for kids to help you make, and is an appropriate food from 6 months (as long as cut into finger shaped pieces).
Gelatin is an incredible super food - it boosts immunity, repairs your digestive tract, helps your skin health, reduces inflammation, balances hormones, curbs cravings and strengthens teeth!
You can essentially use ANY liquid that you would like, this could be coconut milk, juice, kombucha, kefir, aloe vera juice, herbal tea etc. Just be mindful if giving to your baby what liquid you are using - for example if your baby hasn’t had citrus fruits then I would avoid citrus gummies until that fruit has been introduced.
1 1/2 cups of juice (cold pressed) or smoothie or can mash berries and mix with coconut water. This was fresh squeezed orange juice!
4 TBSP gelatin - Make sure you buy grass fed so it is high in glycine! The supermarket gelatin won’t qualify for the health benefits!
2 TBSP honey (organic and preferably local - omit for babies under 1) also tastes great without honey if you don’t have a sweet tooth.
1 tsp vanilla paste (organic)
Optional: any supplements you might want to add! An easy way to get them into your little one and yourself! To this batch I added fermented turmeric, vitamin c powder and cod liver oil! You can add probiotics if you allow to liquid to cool to room temperature prior to adding as the heat can denature the good bacteria.
1. Add juice to saucepan
2. Sprinkle the gelatin on top and leave for a few minutes until it ‘blooms’ - the liquid will absorb the gelatin and it will look wrinkly. Give it a stir
3. Put pan on low heat and stir until the gelatin has dissolved (around 5 minutes)
4. Add the honey, vanilla and any supplements you might add
5. Pour into moulds or into a large shallow container
6. Refrigerate for 2+ hours until set! If In large container then cut it up :) 7. Store in fridge for up to a week - if they last that long!